Sweet Potato, Chicken, and Quinoa Soup
I wanted to share with you one of my favorite healthy recipes! It is super simple and makes a TON, so I always have left overs! To make it a little healthier I make my own chili seasoning with chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper! Enjoy!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa I used a black bean quinoa package
- 2 pound large sweet potatoes ~3-1/2 cups
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (14.25 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and put them into the slow cooker along with the rinsed quinoa.
(I found a black beans seasoned quinoa package which I used and loved, but regular quinoa will work as well, just make sure to rinse it well.)
Remove the skins and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
Drain and rinse the black beans and add those in. Add in the undrained petite diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chili seasoning mix, and chicken broth.
Place on high for 3-5 hours (It took 4 hours on high for my crockpot.)
Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir all the ingredients together.
Add salt and pepper and if desired fresh parsley.
Recipe From: Chelsea's Messy Apron